Now in its 5th year, CineKabalen: Kapampangan Film Festival will be held on Saturday, January 30 at Holy Angel University, Angeles City.
The screening of entries will be open to the public from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the PGN Auditorium, 9th Floor, Peter G. Nepomuceno Center for Professional Development, Holy Angel University, Angeles City. The screening of exhibition films will be followed by the showcase of the eight competing short films.
The awarding ceremony will immediately follow at the PGN Roof Garden. The winners in different categories will each receive a customized unique trophy depicting animals from Kapampangan mythology: Gintung Tugak, Gintung Tikbalang, Gintung Matsing, Gintung Salaksak, Gintung Dapu, and Gintung Damulag. These are original trophies created by Kapampangan artist Don Reich De Dios.
“CineKabalen has seen the participation of the likes of Petersen Vargas (Geography Lessons), Bor Ocampo (Dayang Asu) and Carlo Enciso Catu (Ari: My Life with a King) in its previous editions,” recalls CineKabalen founder and festival director Jason Paul Laxamana. “We hope to find budding filmmakers who will continue to contribute to the exponential development of Kapampangan cinema.”
Here is a rundown of the festival schedule:
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM | Kapampangan Cinema Movement meeting
Venue: Little Theater, Center for Kapampangan Studies, Holy Angel University, Angeles City
Interested Kapampangan film workers are invited to attend an intimate conference where they would discuss the present state of Kapampangan Cinema and speculate on what the future has in store for Kapampangan Cinema.
3:00 PM – 6:00 PM | FILM SCREENING
Venue: PGN Theater, 9/F PGN Bldg., Holy Angel University, Angeles City
A free screening of exhibition short films – Kapampangan short films produced last year that are not part of the CKFF competition. This will be followed by the screening of the eight competing short films.
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM | Awarding Ceremonies and Cocktails
Venue: PGN Roof Garden, 9/F PGN Bldg., Holy Angel University, Angeles City
An intimate cocktail gathering where the competition winners will be honored with trophies and plaques.
Short Film Finalists
The following are the finalists in the Aring Sinukwan Category or the main category:
- LETRATU (Photograph) by Albert Tony Antonio – Macabebe, Pampanga
- LUMPUT (Fishnet) by Arcel Juan Lacap – Masantol, Pampanga
- PAMAGSADIA (Preparation) by Gabrielle Tayag – Angeles
- PIPOY MALIBI (Child’s Play) by Brianne Carlo Amparado – Angeles
- RATATAT NANG DANTE (Dante’s Shot) by Jasper Ramon Tulabot – Paniqui, Tarlac
- REGALU (Gift) by Raymond Nonato Anunciacion – Bamban, Tarlac
- SIWALA (Voice) by Josue Gopez – Angeles
- TRIO by Ian Christopher Cruz – Santa Ignacia, Tarlac
- LISYUN QNG GEOGRAFIA (Geography Lessons) by Petersen Vargas
- MIS DA KA (I Miss You) by Carlo Enciso Catu
- BYE BYE BITUIN by Tin Velasco
- MULALA NING MABALACAT (The Fool of Mabalacat) sung by Saivitri, music by Justin Artates, lyrics by Jason Paul Laxamana
- DING MANGASYAS (Tough Guys) by Justine Dizon