QCinema International Film Festival 2015 once again earns proof that Quezon City is the film festival capital of the country by exhibiting top-rank films and staging film discourses from October 22 to 31 at Trinoma, Gateway Mall, and Robinson’s Galleria cinemas. Ticket price is P150 each.
Here is the complete updated schedule of QCinema 2015:
The festival will officially open at Gateway Mall with the screening of The Last Pinoy Action King, a portrait film about the life and death of Rudy “Daboy” Fernandez, one of the Philippines’ most beloved screen icons. The film was co-directed by internationally renowned filmmakers Andrew Leavold and Daniel Palisa. QCIFF is known for its generous grants to cinema enthusiasts and promising filmmakers. Circle Competition for New Filmmakers gives one million each to eight aspiring directors while DoQC International Documentary provides 200,000 peso grant each for the creation of five full-length documentary films.
This year’s Circle Competition lineup includes the following full-length features: (Click the movie title to view trailer.)
- Water Lemon by Lemuel Lorca
- Kapatiran by Pepe Diokno
- Iisa by Chuck Gutierrez
- Patintero: Ang Alamat ni Meng Patalo by Mihk Vergara
- Gayuma by Cesar Hernando
- Matangtubig by Jet Leyco
- Apocalypse Child by Monster Jimenez and Mario Cornejo
- Sleepless by Prime Cruz
The selected documentary film finalists under DoQC Competition are the following:
- Of Cats, Dogs, Farm Animals, and Sashimi by Perry Dizon
- The Crescent Rising by Sheron Dayoc
- Audio Perpetua by Universe Baldoza
- Traslacion: Ang Paglakad sa Altar ng Alanganin by Will Fredo
- Bingat by Choy Pangilinan, Qubry Quesada, Joolia Demigillo, and Abet Umil
The QCinema Awards Night will be held at the QC Interactive Museum on October 28.
QCIFF works with a wide range of local and international partners to come up with a well-curated movie selection. This year, the festival will present 11 more movie categories in addition to Circle Competition and DoQC International Documentary.
Screen International will present three award-winning films from all over the world. The titles include the following (Click the title to view the trailer):
- TALE OF TALES from Italy, directed by Matteo Garrone
- COURT from Indian director Chaitanya Tamhane
- CEMETERY OF SPLENDOUR by Thai independent film director Apichatpong Weerasethakul
- VICTORIA by German filmmaker Sebastian Schipper
Rainbow QC will screen films with stories that show the different faces of sexuality and sensuality. Included in this group are the following (Click the title to view the trailer):
- EISENSTEIN IN GUANAJUATO by Peter Greenaway of Netherlands
- SUMMER OF SANGAILE by European director Alanté Kavaïté
- TANGERINE by American director Sean Baker
The Music Genius will screen movies that will give you a closer look at three music legends. Films under this category are the following (Click the title to view the trailer):
- HEAVEN ADORES YOU, a documentary about the life and music of American music genius Elliot Smith
- GAINSBOURG BY GAINSBOURG: AN INTIMATE SELF PORTRAIT, a film depicting the rich music of French singer and songwriter Serge Gainsbourg
- 20,000 DAYS ON EARTH, a documentary that chronicled the life of Australian musician and composer Nick Cave.
Special Children’s Screenings, as co-presented with MTRCB, are the following (Click the title to view the trailer):
- THE LITTLE PRINCE, a French fantasy film directed by Mark Osborne whose script is loosely based on the book of the same name.
- LA FAMILLE BELIER by Eric Lartigau
- MICROBE AND GASOLINE by Michel Gondry
Companion pieces in the Special Screening section are the following (Click the title to view the trailer):
- APOCALYPSE NOW by Francis Ford Coppola
- HEARTS OF DARKNESS, another piece by Francis Ford Coppola
- HUMAN by Yann Arthus-Bertrand
Special Halloween Screening will be (Click the title to view the trailer):
- A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT, the Iranian vampire film by Ana Lily Amirpour
Director in Focus is Gaspar Noe with the screenings of the following (Click the title to view the trailer):
ThrowBack.Ticket, as co-presented with ABS-CBN Film Restoration Project, will screen a number of digitally restored movies such as (Click the title to view the trailer):
- ORO PLATA MATA by Peque Gallaga
- BAGONG BUWAN by Marilou Diaz-Abaya
- GANITO KAMI NOON, PAANO KAYO NGAYON? by Eddie Romero
Tribute to Screenwriter: Lualhati Bautista will showcase the artist’s writing prowess through these digitally remastered films co-presented as well with ABS-CBN Film Restoration Project (Click the title to view the trailer):
Indie Nacional will put the spotlight on homegrown award-winning films that made waves in the contemporary independent film industry. The lineup consists of the following:
- REALITY SHORT FILMS by various directors
- ANINO SA LIKOD NG BUWAN by Jun Lana
- ANATOMIYA NG PAG-IBIG by various directors
- DESAPARADISO by Khavn de la Cruz
- HENERAL LUNA by Jerrold Tarog
- BONIFACIO: THE PRODUCER’S CUT, whose original film was directed by Enzo Williams
Past Circle Competition winners will be screened in the Reloaded category.
- Alienasyon by Arnel Mardoquio
- LUKAS NINO by John Torres
- Gaydar by Alvin Yapan
- HELLO, WORLD by Joel Ferrer
Five short films from the QCX anthology will also be presented here namely
- TILA by Rob Jara
- ANG NANAY NI JUSTIN BARBER by Victor Villanueva
- SENIOR by Jed Medrano
- BONIFACIO by Grace Simbulan
- SA NGALAN NI ULTIMATE WARRIOR by Miko Livelo
QCIFF will also present outstanding films recognized by the Asian Film Awards Academy (AFAA) in the ASIAN CINERAMA section.
- AFTER THIS OUR EXILE, a Hong Kong film by Patrick Tam
- OVERHEARD, a Hong Kong film by Alan Mak and Felix Chong
- MEMORIES OF MATSUKO, a Japanese film by Tetsuya Nakashima
- THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD, a Korean film by Kim Jee-woon
- A SEPARATION, an Iranian film by Asghar Farhadi
- NIÑO by Filipino director Loy Arcenas.
QCIFF has gathered recognized filmmakers for a series of seminars. On October 26, a film forum entitled Reality Bites: DoQC Filmmakers will be immediately followed by Indie Circle Competition Filmmakers.
The next day, October 27, First Academy will hold Animation, a discourse that will shed light on the rudiments of this specialized filmmaking technique.
On October 28, Classic Films and Cult Movies will be graced by Pinoy B movie expert Andrew Leovold, film archiving and restoration authority Leo Katigbak, and the producer and executive consultant of Heneral Luna, Vincent Nebrida and Ed Rocha, respectively.
Happening on the same day is the fifth forum, From Concept Development to Final Draft with Lualhati Bautista as the special tribute speaker. Circle competition screenwriters Monster Jimenez, Lilit Reyes, and Jen Chaunson will also participate in this event. All of these seminars will happen at Trinoma.
In Global Film Platform, the sixth and final forum happening on October 29 at Gateway Mall, Roger Garcia, Lorna Tee, and Patrick Tam will share their insights about the international festival circuit, business of international film financing, and Hong Kong film industry, respectively.
Festivities for Everyone
Now on its third year, QCinema International Film Festival 2015 continues to act as a major influence in the country’s creative industry. With its outstanding lineup of events and movies, it remains true to its commitment in turning Quezon City as the center of arts and films.
Hoping to bring the festivities closer to the public, QCIFF 2015 will be held in malls near three prominent MRT stations namely, North Avenue, Cubao, and Ortigas.
For more information, you can visit their website at: http://www.qcinema.ph or at their Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QuezonCityFilmFest/timeline.
Join the Facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1606847429566006/.