The 4th Asia Pacific Luminare Awards this June 26 was a success despite the current pandemic. Held at the Grand Ballroom of Okada Manila in Parañaque City, Philippines, it was attended by scores of awardees, guests, and organizers.
The Asia Pacific Luminare Awards (APLA) is an organization that searches for the best of the best individuals and companies across all of Asia, including industry titans, entertainment and cultural artists, corporate heroes, advocates of planet and people. Its beneficiary is Kiwanis Charity Organization Mega Cavite.
Spearheading the organization are Mr. Jao Mapa (actor, accomplished painter, and philanthropist) and Mr. Perry Escaño (filmmaker and event organizer), who are the award-giving body’s chairman and vice chairman, respectively.
“I want to say congratulations to all our awardees. We look forward to seeing more success, better leadership and charity works from you in the future. You earned it!” remarked Jao Mapa.
Mapa graduated at the University of Santo Tomas with a degree in Fine Arts, major in advertising. He had his first major show at Grey Gallery in Antipolo, Rizal in 2012. To his credit as a film and television actor, he has done more than 50 titles for Philippine Cinema and television, since 1990s.
Rationale and Vision of APLA
There are many stars in the sky, some shine brighter than others. But one thing is true, each one is a star regardless of the level of brightness or shine. Likewise, there are many people in our world who contribute to the wellness and welfare of our society.
Most of the time, it is only those who make the most contribution, those who shine brightest, that get to be recognized and celebrated. In Asia Pacific Luminare Awards, we believe that there are people that contribute to the enrichment of lives of others and “it is their time to shine!”
This organization would like to honor and recognize them for their contribution and accomplishments. “It is essential that we learn from their experiences and encourage them to continue in what they are doing and even support their growth so that they can be more and do more,” says Professor Angelito Buan.
Nora Aunor as ‘Hall of Famer of Philippine Cinema’
Recipients of the awards are selected from candidates nominated by the awards council (peers from the same field, or, beneficiaries of their work). Each month a particular field is highlighted and nominees are received two (2) months prior to the awarding to give time for the award council to gather and confirm information provided.
The country’s one and only Superstar Ms. Nora Aunor was awarded the Hall of Famer of Philippine Cinema. The iconic actress just had her second dose of vaccine, and so her award was received by her representative Rico Gonzales who read La Aunor’s acceptance message:
“Magandang araw po sa inyong lahat. Una po sa lahat, nagpapasalamat ako sa bumubuo ng Asia Pacific Luminare Awards para sa karangalan ng ibinibigay ninyo sa akin.
“Maraming salamat na sa tinagal-tagal ng panahon, patuloy ninyong naaalala ang aking naging ambag sa industriya na aking kinabibilangan.
“Isang karangalan po para sa akin na tanggapin ang inyong ibinibigay na parangal bilang Hall of Famer of Philippine Cinema.
“Hindi naman po sa pagbubuhat ng sariling bangko, may ilan na rin po akong ganitong klaseng parangal na natanggap mula sa iba’t ibang award-giving bodies. Pero nagugulat pa rin po ako, natutuwa, at minsan ay napapatanong din kung ako nga ba ay karapat-dapat sa mga binibigay sa aking parangal.
“Kapag dumarating sa akin ang mag pagtatanong na ganyan, ang iniisip ko po, ay siguro nga, mayroon akong nagawang mabuti at makabuluhan para patuloy ninyo akong bigyan ng mga ganitong uri ng parangal.
“At buong puso po akong nagpapasalamat sa inyong ginagawang pagkilala. Ngunit higit sa lahat, higit sa mga parangal, ang patuloy na pagtangkilik at pagpapahalaga ng mga manonood noon, at maging ang bagong henerasyon sa ngayon, ng mga nagawa ko nang pelikula, ay ang tunay na award na binigay ninyo sa akin bilang isang artista.
“Sana po, sa inyong panonood ng aking mga pelikula, may makuha po kayong leksiyon, inspirasyon, o kahit munting aliw man lang.
“May mga pelikula po akong nagawa na ipapalabas pa lamang, tulad ng ‘Kontrabida’ sa direksiyon ni Direk Adolf Alix Jr. under Godfather Productions at iba pa na aking gagawin. Sana po ay tangkilikin ninyo ito.
“Muli po, ang aking buong pusong pasasalamat sa bumubuo ng Asia Pacific Luminare Awards. Salamat sa pagmamahal. Mahal ko po kayo.
‘’Ito po ang inyong lingkod, Nora Aunor, Artista para sa Bayan.’’
Entertainment Awardees of APLA
Below are the awardees this year from the field of entertainment.
- MS. NORA AUNOR — Hall of Famer of Philippine Cinema
- CATRIONA GRAY — Most Inspiring and Influential Beauty Queen of the Year
- BOY ABUNDA — Favorite and Accomplished TV Host of the Millennium
- ROBIN PADILLA – Philippines’ Most Inspiring Showbiz Icon of the Year
- KIM CHIU — Favorite and Versatile Actress of the Year
- SNOOKY SERNA — Philippines’ Favorite Actress of All Time
- LUIS MANZANO — Favorite Male TV Host of the Year
- XIAN LIM — Most Dedicated and Competent Actor of the Year
- WENDELL RAMOS — Most Empowered Actor of the Year
- ANGELINE QUINTO — Favorite Female Singer of the Year
- JAKE CUENCA — Most Precise and Focused Actor of the Year
- ROCCO NACINO — Most Inspiring and Stand Out Actor of the Year
- EJAY FALCON — Favorite and Dedicated Actor of the Year
- JESSY MENDIOLA — Most Admired Filipina Actress of the Year
- BEA BINENE — Favorite Female TV Host of the Year
- ANDI ABAYA – Most Promising Teen Actress of the Year
- JOAQUIN DOMAGOSO – Most Promising Teen Actor of the Year
- ILLAC DIAZ — Philippines’ Most Inspiring Philanthropist Icon of the Year
- JOSEPH MARCO — Favorite and Versatile Actor if the Year
- KEN CHAN — Favorite and Inspiring Love Team of the Year (w/ Rita Daniela)
- RITA DANIELA — Favorite and Inspiring Love Team of the Year (w/ Ken Chan)
- JANE DE LEON — Most Empowered Entertainment Personality of the Year
- KAREL MARQUEZ — Most Dedicated and Competent Actress of the Year
- ARTHUR SOLINAP — Most Inspiring and Dedicated Actor of the Year
- DIANNE MEDINA — Favorite Morning Show Female Host of the Year
- DJ JHAIHO — Outstanding TV Talk Show Host of the Year
- KELVIN MIRANDA — Fast Rising Young Celebrity of the Year
- DR. MANNY CALAYAN – Man of the Year Award
- BABY GO (Producer) — Most Outstanding Producer Award
- BERNADETTE SEMBRANO — Favorite Newscaster of the Year Award
- LHAR SANTIAGO — Favorite Showbiz Broadcast Journalist of the Millennium
- NOEL FERRER — Outstanding and Influential Multi-Media Personality
- CHRIS CAHILIG — Most Inspiring Independent Producer Award
- IDA TIONGSON (Producer) — Empowered Woman Award
- NICO NICOLAS — New Male Inspiring Actor of the Year
- MATT LOZANO — Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- BAMBOO B. — Most Promising New Male Teen Artist of the Year
- TONI CO (Producer) — Business Leader and Producer Award
- TONZ ARE — Man of the Year – Indie Actor
- TYRONNE JAMES ESCALANTE – Talent Manager Award
- DANTE BALBOA — Philippine Tourism Hero of the Decade Award
Kapuso star Wendell Ramos, who is gearing up for GMA Network’s sequel to hit afternoon drama series Prima Donnas, is more than thankful to his Most Empowered Actor of the Year Award.
“It’s very important and really flattering. It’s a blessing for me… especially nowadays despite what’s happening. They still gave us a chance to encourage everybody—from the industry also. I’m very grateful and blessed,” he said smilingly when he was interviewed by the media.
Among the teen stars of today’s generation, a Kapuso and a Kapamilya stood out for the Most Promising Teen Actors and Actress of the Year Awards, respectively; Joaquin Domagoso and Andrea “Andi” Abaya were cheerful enough to face this new milestone in their career.
“Sobrang thankful ako sa mga supporter diyan na agree na agree din na deserving ako sa award na ito, kasi feel ko rin na deserve ko ‘to kasi pinaghirapan namin as artist to work hard and to show our talents. Thankful ako na na-realize ito ng grupo ng 4th Asia Pacific Luminare,” related Joaquin.
On another hand, Andi was equally grateful to be one of the awardees in this event. “It motivates me a lot to do better—to do my best—in all the things that I will do in the future, knowing that I’m still starting in this industry. Of course, I want to be able to prove to them that I’m worthy to be an actress,” she shared.
Catch Joaquin and Andi in the upcoming youth-oriented film Caught in the Act, directed by Perry Escaño. Watch their full interview with the media here: